jueves, 8 de septiembre de 2016

From "Heathers" to "Reality Bites": The College Transistion


*When you strut your shit down the hallway like everything is peachy f*cking keen
on your first day of College*

It's funny to see how according to Hollywood, everything fun only happens in high school. If you think about it, the iconic teenage movies are all basically set in it: Grease, High School Musical, Mean Girls, Jawbreaker or Heathers, they all have High School hallways as a stage. And if you think about it, the only movie worth watching about University, Reality Bites, has Winona Ryder as the star, no argument, and a depressing lesson about how being an adult sucks. So shall we think that being in college isn't cool? Absolutely not. And we don't even need John Travolta singing catchy songs to be cool. In fact, we don't need him at all. Just like Hollywood nowadays.

But leaving Hollywood aside and focusing on me, Aitor Salinas, a humble student from a humble town named Tafalla (google it) I have to admit that since I was a kid, I was always scared of College. Why? Well, because I always had the feeling that I would not make friends at all and that I would stand on my own, reading a book and eating an apple. That was pretty much my first worry when it came to college. But guess what, I've made friends! Ha! Suck that internal childhood insecurities!

And although making friends was important, it was not my only concern. Choosing the right career was also a big deal. Why wasn't it my first concern? Well, that's a good question. I had a rough childhood. Anyway, I am enjoying every single bit of my Journalism studies here in UNAV. We have only been here for a week, but you know, it's been nice. I've met people from all around the world, which is really cool, and we've been told to read like five different books, which is not as cool, but it is still nice. Actually, it's the first time where I have actually enjoyed going to class.

Will things keep up and will this be just as good? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but either way, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Hopefully, not us in our fourth year


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario